Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 3 A Hole in the Heart of New York / Sacred Space



                                                  “Angelus” 150cm x 75 cm oil on canvas, 2006

In 2002 I went down to pay my respects at Ground Zero. I watched an older couple standing together staring up at where the towers once were. Aghast, the woman held her hand to her mouth while the man stood with his hands clasped together as if praying.

The people I saw mostly mourned alone. I saw this woman standing with her hand on her heart looking up at the emptiness. Two other women beside her seemed locked into their own space. It felt like nobody could find comfort in his or her own grief.
I did initial drawings and paintings and then a few years later painted these larger pieces




                                               “Women Downtown” 200cm x150cm oil on canvas, 2006

1 comment:

  1. Too much pain!!!!
    Many compliments for this project

    ReplyDelete